Preferences Preferences To safeguard0
Contact us
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Victor Hugo)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Auteuil)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 17ème - Etoile Monceau)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Neuilly-sur-Seine)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Hauts-de-Seine - Yvelines)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Marais
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Est
Sotheby's International Realty
Send an email



My research
Le Marais - Paris 3rd district
  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Area
  4. >
  5. Le Marais - Paris 3rd district

Le Marais - Paris 3rd district

Boulevard Saint Martin

The ordinance of June 7, 1670 prescribed to demolish what was left of the walls of Charles V and replace it with a wide planted boulevard; it was, at this location, the New Cours St Martin. It was leveled much later (1850) and sidewalks were added to it.
N ° 2: Facing this number, was the Water Castle Fountain from 1811 to 1867.
N ° 2 ter: The Hôtel Murinais was replaced in 1828 by the Théâtre de l'Ambigu which was previously located since 1769 Bd du Temple ("Bd du Crime") and which burned down in 1827.
N ° 14: This location was successively the Auberge des Adrets in 1886, the Napoli, the Noisy Alexandre then, in 1910, the cinema-concert Alexandrette.
N ° 16: In 1670, there was a circus, in 1720 the Cemetery of foreign Protestants was installed there for 42 years, finally replaced in 1767 by the store of the decorations of the Opera. After the fire at the Opera (located at the Palais-Royal) on June 8, 1781, Marie-Antoinette asked that the Opera be rebuilt there; this large hall with 1,800 seats was built in 75 days by Lenoir at the request of the Queen. Closed to the Revolution, it was sold in 1799 and reopened three years later under the name of People's Opera, which became the theater of the Olympic Games in 1810. Finally, it opened in 1814 under the name of Théâtre de la porte St-Martin.
However, the theater was burnt down by the Municipality and rebuilt in 1873 then altered in 1891
N ° 17: Building inhabited by Meissonier in the 1860s
N ° 20: In 1872 the Renaissance Theater moved here (previously Salle Ventadour rue Méhul), on the site of the famous Deffieux restaurant, which was there since 1853 until its fire by the Commune. The theater, built by Lalande, was nearly demolished in 1942, but was saved at the last moment.
N ° 33: Porte St Martin, built by Bullet in 1674, near the site of the old Charles V gate, located 100 meters further south (rue Blondel). Louis XV passed there on September 7, 1745, Napoleon on January 27, 1806 and the allied monarchs, including the Emperor Alexander, on March 11, 1814

Boulevard de Sebastopol

First boulevard opened by Haussmann from 1855 to 1858 and first named Bd du Centre, very quickly replaced by its current name due to the victory in Crimea in 1855. Its breakthrough removed many old streets (17 in total), and in amputated 9 others.
It was inaugurated with great fanfare on April 5, 1858 by the imperial couple and Haussmann
N ° 41 to 45: Location of a large white store, At the Batavian courtyard
N ° 59: St Leu Church
N ° 135/137: From 1860, the Grand Bazaar Universel, "the greatest specialist in dresses in the world" was there

Rue de Sevigne

Replaced in 1542 the old walkway of the enclosure of Philippe Auguste on the land belonging to the priory of Ste Catherine du Val des Ecoliers, hence its initial name of rue de la Culture Ste Catherine, replaced in 1867 by the famous name of the Marquise de Sévigné who lived there.
N ° 7 and 9: Hotel de Birague, previously the King of Sicily, then Hotel Poulletier in 1700, date of its reconstruction. In 1873, the fire brigade took place there. In the cellar of N ° 7: base of a tower by Philippe Auguste.
N ° 11: Théâtre du Marais, founded in 1791, closed by Napoleon and destroyed in 1812 to be replaced by a bathhouse. At the back of the courtyard, vestiges of the wall of the La Force prison
N ° 23: Hôtel Carnavalet: there was a vast bare plot at the corner of rue des Francs-Bourgeois and rue de la Culture Ste Catherine that the President of the Parliament of Paris de Ligneris bought in 1545 to build a large built hotel by Jean Goujon and Pierre Lescot, today one of the oldest in Paris. Mansart modified it in 1654. Mme de Sévigné rented it in 1677 for 19 years. In July 1866 the City of Paris bought it and installed there after the Commune the city library as well as, 9 years later, a Paris history museum.
Classified hotel
N ° 29: Hôtel St-Fargeau: this hotel was built after 1687 to replace the Hôtel d'Orgeval by Lepeletier, whose son was lord of St Fargeau, and the great great grandson was the conventional murdered by the bodyguard Paris to avenge the vote for the death of Louis XVI on January 20, 1793. Purchased by the City who installed there in 1897 the Historical library previously housed at the Hôtel Carnavalet.
N ° 40: Building from the end of the reign of Louis XIV.
N ° 46-48: 17th century hotel.
N ° 52: Hotel from 1680 of which only the facade has remained since 1908, the year of its quasi-destruction.

Rue du Temple

The original street was called end of the 12th century Vicus Militae Templi then the Chevalerie du Temple in 1252 because it led to the Commandery, then the Temple in 1300. Following it, to the south, were the rue Sainte-Avoye, then the rue Barre du Bec and finally rue Gentien then des Coquilles. All these streets merged in 1851 under the name of the first. N ° 10-12-18: Old houses;
N ° 20: Bureau of the gabelle in the 17th century.
N ° 22: 18th century hotel.
N° 41: Golden Eagle Inn, former head of the courier service that radiated to the province; the last in Paris;
N ° 43 and 57: Hotels built in the 17th and 18th centuries.
N ° 58: Location of the Porte du Temple within the walls of Philippe Auguste, built in 1188 and destroyed in 1535.
N ° 61: Former Convent of the Ursulines of Ste Avoye. The house is gabled.
N ° 66-68 and 69-71-73: Old houses and Hôtel de St Aignan, built in 1640, which became the town hall of the old 7th arrondissement from 1800 to 1823. Purchased by the City in 1962. Classified
N ° 72: Furnished hotel Ste Avoye, formerly (brand).
N ° 79: Hôtel de Montmor built in 1623 and rebuilt in 1751. Also purchased in 1962 by the City. Classroom.
N ° 82: At this crossroads stood the justice ladder of the Grand Prior of the Temple, 16 meters high, which only disappeared in 1780
N ° 86: Former cabaret of the White Cross
N ° 88 to 115: Succession of old houses.
N ° 122: House inhabited by Balzac under the Restoration.
N ° 158: Location of the only entrance to the temple enclosure, which was a real city originally located outside of Paris. The Templars built it from 1139, and it was the walls of Charles V that encompassed it in the city. This huge enclosure was located between the streets of Temple, Bretagne, Picardie and Béranger. The Order was abolished in 1313 and Philippe le Bel confiscated almost all of its property, the rest going to the Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, whose grand priory remained in the Temple. The last Grand Prior was the Duke of Angoulême, son of Charles X and short-lived King of France (2 hours) under the name of Louis XIX.
In this enclosure was the Temple Keep, built under St Louis, and where was locked after August 10, 1792 Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette, Madame Elisabeth (sister of the King) and their children: the Dauphin, future Louis XVII and his sister, Marie-Thérèse, the only survivor ("The Orphan of the Temple"). The keep was destroyed in 1808-1810 as well as almost all the buildings.
In their place, the Temple Market and the Dupetit-Thouars, Perrée and Caffarelli streets were built.
There are only very small vestiges of the enclosure.
N ° 195: Church of St. Elisabeth, founded by Marie de Medici in 1628, which was part of the convent of the Daughters of St. Elisabeth, destroyed after the Revolution. The church remained and was enlarged in 1829.
N ° 207: Location of the Porte du Temple de Charles V in 1380. Its final demolition began in 1678 to make way for our future grand boulevards.

Rue des Tournelles

The rue des Tournelles was opened at the end of the 14th century under the name of Jehan Beausire, transformed into rue des Tournelles around 1545 (the name of Jean Beausire was then given to a nearby street). In 1839, it was reunited at Petite-rue-neuve-St Gilles in 1637.

N ° 21 bis: Synagogue built between 1861 and 1863 on the outbuildings of the Hôtel de La Rivière in Place des Vosges. Burnt down in 1871, it was restored 4 years later.

N ° 28: Hôtel de Sagonne built from 1674 to 1685 by Jules-Hardouin Mansart, count of Sagonne, for himself. Died in Marly like Felix Faure in May 1708 at 62, the Hotel returned to his son and then to his descendants. Sold to the Princess of Noailles-Mouchy in 1767, it was then modified somewhat. Lady of honor of Marie-Antoinette, she was beheaded with her husband on June 27, 1794, shortly before 9 Thermidor. It then passed to several owners and was restored in 1938. Very beautiful ceiling paintings (Le Brun, Mignard,…)

N ° 32, 33 and 36: 17th century houses. N ° 36 was built in 1642 and rented to Ninon de Lenclos from 1644; she was then 24 years old; she bought it in 1684. It was in her famous yellow room that she received her many lovers such as the Grand Condé, the Duke of La Rochefoucault, Coligny, the Duke of Estrées, the Count of La Châtre,…. She lent this place for the same reasons to the future Madame de Maintenon. Later, Ninon de Lenclos held a famous salon there. She died there on October 17, 1705 at the age of 85 after having known and appreciated the very young Voltaire.

N ° 48 and 50: 18th century hotels.

N ° 58: House where the conventional bloodthirsty Merlin de Thionville died in 1833, aged 71. Instigator of the day of August 10 (capture of the Tuileries), he even denied this day in front of Louis XVIII for lack of courage.
17th century houses in 64, 68 and 72

Rue de Turenne

Tour d’Auvergne, viscount of Turenne (1611 - 1675), who had his hotel in this street:
1) (between rue Saint Antoine and des Francs-Bourgeois) Rue du Val Sainte Catherine, so called since 1839 on the occasion of major road works; previously, it was the alleyway of the Sewers (1427), then the rue des Egouts (1601), the covered Sewer (1610) and the St. Catherine Sewer.
2) (between rue des Francs-Bourgeois and Filles du Calvaire) Rue Saint-Louis; previously, it was also the rue de l'Egout extending the alley of the same name, then the covered sewer in 1610, making only one with the previous one; after its embellishment and widening, it became rue Neuve Saint-Louis in 1616, Grande rue Saint-Louis, then, in 1798, rue de Turenne; at the Restoration, it became rue Saint Louis again in 1814.
The sewer in question ran along the street; it came from the diversion in 1425 of the sewer of the rue Saint Antoine to connect it to the great sewer of the Temple; under the open sky, it was covered in 1609
3) (between rue des Filles du Calvaire and rue Charlot) Rue Boucherat, pierced from 1694 to 1698; it became rue Saint-Louis in 1851, like the previous street it extended.
N ° 10 to 20: Outbuildings of hotels in the Place des Vosges; these are only partial remains after the demolitions of 1914.
N ° 23: Hotel built in 1650, but very disfigured in 1931 by the addition of three floors. There remains the original fountain in the first courtyard, and a monumental stoop in the second. It was occupied from the second empire by the Society for Professional Education of Women, replaced by the Fathers of Christian Doctrine until 1905.
N°34: Rear end of the Tresmes hotel.
N ° 36: House of the architect Liberal Bruant, where he died in 1697.
N ° 37 to 41: Location of the Hôtel de Miron, the king's first doctor in 1580. The heiress's marriage to Louis de Caumartin in 1582 passed the hotel over to this latter family, until 1750 when he became the property of the Marquis de Joyeuse. A fountain was added there in 1687, and replaced by the current one by Boitel in 1864 (fountain of Saint-Louis or Turenne).
Under the Empire, he passed to the Lepitre institution, the most famous at that time with the Lanneau institution. It was founded in 1802 by a fervent royalist who had sent letters to the king and the queen imprisoned in the Temple in 1792. He even testified on his behalf at the trial of Marie-Antoinette, and was therefore brought before the Revolutionary Court: he was acquitted, which was extremely rare !! Under the Restoration, he became a teacher at Versailles until his death in 1821. Victor Cousin was a student at this institution.
N ° 40 and 42: Houses from the early 17th century that belonged to Mr. Villedo;
N ° 50: Remarkable house from the 17th
N ° 52 and 54: Hotel at the end of the 16th century which passed from hand to hand until the Revolution. Became a school in 1880, it was bought by the City in 1908; it’s the hotel of Montrsor or Gourges. Classroom.
N ° 56: Scarron died there.
N ° 58: Dependence on the next hotel; classified niche (Virgin and baby Jesus).
N ° 60: Hôtel du Grand Veneur, remarkable. Many classified elements.
N ° 66: Hôtel de Turenne: built in 1620 for Turenne, Marshal of France in 1592. It was his 2nd son who became the other Maréchal de Turenne of Louis XIV, the best known.
Vauban and La Bruyère lived there. The domain began to be fragmented during the Revolution. The Benedictine Monastery of the Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament was installed there in 1684 and closed in 1790. Under the Restoration a Congregation of Franciscans officiated there until 1822.
The chapel, destroyed in 1826, was replaced by the church of St-Denis du St-Sacrement (N ° 68), completed in 1835.
N ° 74 and 76: 17th century houses. Listed items.
N ° 80: Hotel built in 1613; it was sold in 1776 to the Marquis de Launay, governor of the Bastille, assassinated on July 14, 1789. This hotel was raised.
N ° 82 and 85: Interesting elements.
N ° 88 to 94: Daughters of Calvary Convent founded in 1635. Closed to the Revolution, it was dismantled under the Empire.
N ° 89, 91, 93 and 95: Houses early 17th. Beautiful facade at 95;
N ° 133: Fountain of 1692

Rue Vieille du Temple

Known as Vieille rue du Temple in 1270, it crossed the walls of Philippe Auguste at Poterne Barbette (at the height of current N ° 61) and extended through the Templar cultures near an open sewer. Which gave it different names until the beginning of the 17th century, when it resumed its original name, slightly modified in the 19th century.
N ° 15: Hotel de Vibraye built in 1650.
N ° 21 and 23: Old houses; facade and courtyard.
N ° 24: Hotel whose origin dates back to the 14th century. Classroom.
The opening of rue du Trésor in 1882 uncovered a treasure made up of almost 8,000 14th-century gold coins.
N ° 27 to 33: Old houses.
N ° 36: Nice hotel built in 1660. Listed door and fittings.
No. 44. : Mid-17th century house; classified door.
N ° 47: Hotel of the Ambassadors of Holland: at the end of the XIVth century was here the Hotel of Jean de Rieux, companion of du Guesclin and marshal of France. Confiscated by the English who became masters of Paris in 1420, the hotel gradually became a ruin, and was slowly rebuilt during the first half of the 17th century, with a beautiful courtyard (Pierre Cottard architect). After a whole series of owners, it was rented in 1776 to Beaumarchais who stayed there for 12 years. During and after the Revolution, it was divided into apartments, shops and workshops, and was greatly degraded. Fortunately, it was bought in 1924 by Paul Brenot who restored it, thus restoring one of the most beautiful hotels in the Marais.
Its name, whose origin is unknown, did not appear until 1745.
N ° 46 to 50: The Convent of the Hospitalières St Gervais was at this location.
N ° 64: Entrance to the Barbette Hotel which extended to N ° 76 and which was destroyed in the 16th century.
N ° 87: Hôtel de Rohan: built from 1705 to 1708.
N ° 90: Hotel Salé.
N ° 106/108: Hôtel d'Epernon from the early 17th century.
N ° 110: Hotel of Epernay, largely classified.
N ° 137: Tallard de Guérard hotel. Classified facades and door.

Rue Volta

Rue Frépillon (named after a family who lived there under Louis IX), rue de La Croix from the 14th century and rue du Pont aux Biches (sign next to a bridge) were combined in 1851 to form the street Volta.
Apart from a few old houses (N ° 37, 45 and 49), this street had become famous since the Second Empire because it was considered that the house of N ° 3 went back to Philippe Le Bel and was therefore the oldest house in Paris. We have much dissected and written the most learned passages on this house, before providing proof that it dates from 17th century!

Place des Vosges

Created from 1605 under the name of Place Royale by Henri IV, it was to be the first big Parisian place allowing to organize parades or public celebrations. The Maison Royale des Tournelles had preceded it; the Chancellor of France of Orgemont had in fact built in 1388, on the current north side of the current square, a first beautiful hotel surrounded by a wall provided with small towers which was enlarged about fifteen years later. It had become a beautiful and large group of residences, chapels, outbuildings and gardens which extended to the east to the enclosure of Charles V (rue des Tournelles, encompassed by the BD Beaumarchais), to the north by rue St Gilles, to the west by rue de l'Egout (rue de Turenne) and to the south by rue St Antoine. The kings of France lived there more readily than at the old Hotel St Paul, an old complex surrounded by foul odors from the sewers and ditches of Charles V; thus, Charles VII, Louis XI, Charles VIII, Louis XII, François 1er then Henri II.
However, Louis XII died there on January 1, 1515 and Henri II lost his life during a tournament on June 29, 1559. Catherine de Médicis, his widow, left it for the Louvre and ordered its demolition in 1563, and its replacement by a weekly horse market with 2000 horses for sale. This place also served as a field for maneuvers and a veritable court of miracles began to develop there. This is the location chosen by Henri IV for his project, which he entrusted to Androuet du Cerceau and Claude Chastillon.
The king built the south and north sides and conceded the other sides to individuals who had to respect a uniform architecture; a total of 36 pavilions (4 X 9) were built. At the same time, four streets were created to access the new square: Birague, Pas de la Mule, Béarn and Francs Bourgeois streets. The inauguration took place on 5/6/7 April 1612 on the occasion of the marriage of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria.
Many prohibited duels took place on this place, and, little by little, it was invaded by malandrins and gallant women; a gambling den even became famous there at N ° 28. Later, during the Revolution, it was leveled to make it a field for maneuvers.
The center of the square, paved, was surrounded by a very beautiful grid in 1685, replaced under Louis-Philippe by the current grid, some. (1839). In the center, a horse statue was erected in 1639 intended to receive a statue of Henry II; in fact, it was Louis XIII who mounted the horse. Destroyed during the Revolution, this statue was replaced by the new one in white marble since 1819.
The current set is roughly original, except for a number of details (balconies, railings, roofs ...)
Finally, this place often changed its name:
- Place Royale from 1605 to August 1792
- Place des Fédérés until early July 1793
- from Indivisibility until March 1800
- Vosges until 1814, this name being due to the fact that this department paid the first and fully its contributions.
- Royal until March 1831
- from the Vosges until 1852
- Royal until 1870
- from the Vosges since.

N ° 1: King's Pavilion. Classified as almost all the pavilions in the square.
N ° 3: Built a little later, in 1613, on the site of the stables of the Hôtel des Tournelles
N ° 7 bis: Petit Hôtel de Sully
N ° 9: Hôtel de Caulnes where King Louis XIII lived during the inauguration of the square. Rachel lived there two years before dying in 1858.
N ° 11: Marion Delorme lived there from 1639 to 1648; part of this hotel was destroyed for the widening of rue de Turenne in 1913 (at No. 12)
N ° 19: Facade redone in 1921
N ° 4: Inhabited by the Marquis de Favras, hanged in February 1790 for having plotted against Louis XVI, then by Portalis under the Restoration.
N ° 6: Hotel de Rohan-Guéménée, the largest in the square. Victor Hugo lived there for 16 years until 1848; the June revolution of that year decided to move him. His home became a museum in 1903
N ° 8: Inhabited by Théophile Gautier then by Alphonse Daudet
N ° 14: Town hall of the old 8th arrondissement from 1819 to 1860
N ° 28: Queen's Pavilion