Le Marais - Paris 3rd district

Le Marais - Paris 3

ARCHIVES STREET

Born from the meeting of seven streets: rue des deux portes (12th century), des Billettes, de l'Homme armed (name of a sign), du Chaume (a house covered with thatch), du Grand-Chantier (construction site of the Temple), the Red Children (from the hospital of the same name) and finally the recent rue Molay, opened in 1800 on the site of this hospital.
The Convent of Carmes-Billettes was at No. 22 to 26, and had replaced the Hospitaller Brothers of Charity Notre-Dame installed there in 1295 on the site of the house of the Jew Jonathas who had bleed a consecrated host in the lacerating; then throwing the host into boiling water, it turned blood red. Of course, the man was condemned to be burned alive, and his property confiscated by Philippe Le Bel.
The cloister of the convent is the only cloister from the Middle Ages remaining in Paris
N ° 53: Fountain of the Haudriettes from 1760
N ° 54: Location of the Poterne du Temple within the walls of Philippe Auguste (1288)
The street has a series of hotels built from the 16th to the 18th century: de l'Hermitage (17th), at No. 60, that of the prosecutor Bellart, who had Ney and the sergeants of La Rochelle sentenced to death, No. 65 / 67 former hotel of Argenson, destroyed in 1934, N ° 70 where Lamennais died in 1854, N ° 76 having belonged to the Turgot family, N ° 78, 79 and, at number 90, entrance to the Hospice des Enfants-Rouges who had taken in orphans in Paris since 1534, who were dressed in red.

BARBETTE STREET

Street opened in 1563 on the grounds of the Barbette hotel, fragmented in 1561

BEAUBOURG STREET

Born from the union in 1851 of 4 very old streets (Beaubourg, Transnonnain, Bailly and St Hugues) under this name coming from the village of Beau-bourg which had been enclosed in the enclosure of Philippe Auguste (1191 - 1215). In 1911 the street lost all its houses on the even side due to alignment. The Nicolas Huydelon postern in the enclosure of Philippe Auguste was at No. 39; the St Nicolas des Champs cemetery was at the level of N ° 67 and 69; it was closed in 1791 and sold in 1795.

RUE DE BRETAGNE

Born in 1851 from the merger of rue de la Corderie-au-Marais (14th century), southern limit of the Temple enclosure, and the old rue de Bretagne opened in 1626 as part of Henry's project IV of a place in France which never completely saw the light of day (architect: Charlot).
N ° 1: Class hotel.
N ° 41: Marché du Marais, which became Red children, created in 1628. The geographer Cassini was the owner of the land in the 18th century.
N ° 55: Location of the military keep of the Temple keep guard

RUE CHAPON

Fusion in 1851 of the old rue Chapon (12th century) and the rue du cimetière St-Nicolas (13th century)
N ° 2/4: 17th century house, as well as numbers 5 and 9, built in 1680, and 11 in 1620 N ° 13: It was the entrance to the Carmelite convent on rue Chapon (remains)
N ° 16 and 22: 17th century hotels
N ° 38 to 62: Old houses

RUE DE ELZEVIR

Breakthrough in the middle of the 16th century under the name of Culture Ste-Catherine because it was located on the grounds of the Ste Catherine convent in Val des Ecoliers. In 1867 she received the name from the family of Dutch printers. Several hotels from the 16th century (N ° 7, 8 and 11 bis14, 16) or from the 17th

RUE DES FILLES DU CALVAIRE

Contiguous to the convent of the same name, it was opened in 1696, and the chapel of this convent was at No. 2 and 4

RUE DE GRENETA

Distorted name derived from the Trinity Hospital, which we find called Dernetat in 1313 there was indeed, at No. 28, the Trinity Hospital, replaced by the Hospice of Blue Children. This street was cut off from its small passages when the Bd de Sébastopol opened.

RUE GRENIER SAINT LAZARE

Dating from 1315, it owes its name to an owner, Sieur Guernier. Its odd side disappeared during the widening of rue Etienne Marcel ... old houses on the other side.