Preferences Preferences To safeguard0
Contact us
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Victor Hugo)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Auteuil)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 17ème - Etoile Monceau)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Neuilly-sur-Seine)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Hauts-de-Seine - Yvelines)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Marais
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Est
Sotheby's International Realty
Send an email



My research
Le Marais - Paris 3rd district
  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Area
  4. >
  5. Le Marais - Paris 3rd district

Le Marais - Paris 3rd district

Rue des Haudriettes

In the 13th century, this street was called Jehan L’Huilier then des Haudriettes, name given to the women of the Assumption Convent who owned properties there. Later, it took the name of L’Échelle du Temple because the Grand Prior of the Temple had his gallows of justice there, at the corner of rue du Temple; six stories high, you could still see the remains on the eve of the Revolution.
N ° 4 and 6: 16th century Maupéou Hotel.
N ° 8: 17th century Hôtel de Lécuyer.
N ° 6 and 14: Old houses from the 17th century.

Rue au Maire

In existence since the beginning of the 13th century, the Mayor of the Priory of St-Martin-des-Champs had his home there. It was the main route of Bourg St-Martin-des-Champs. Several very old houses (N ° 14, 23, 25, 28, 29) and the sign of Chef St Jean at N ° 22

Rue Michel Le Comte

Former walkway outside the enclosure of Philippe Auguste, inhabited by Count Michel probably in the 14th century. It became rue Michel Lepeletier from 1793 to 1806, named after the member of the Convention who had voted for the king's death on January 20, 1793. The bodyguard Paris wanted to do justice by assassinating him before the king was guillotined the next day 21 January. This street was widened to the level of its first 11 odd numbers in 1833

N ° 7 and 15: Belonged to the family of the Provost of Merchants Caumartin before the Revolution N ° 16: Very interesting house of the 15, 16 and 17th centuries which was an inn with the bear and lion sign from the 15th century; his old well still exists

N ° 21: House where Verniquet lived from 1774, when he was carrying out his monumental plan of Paris.

N ° 25: Location of the Jeu de Paume de la Fontaine in the 15th century, destroyed in 1634 by a fire. It was replaced by a beautiful house.

N ° 28: Hôtel d'Hallwyll, an old residence rebuilt in the 18th century by the Hallwylls, who rented it to the Neckers until 1766, the date of Mme de Staël's birth. Classified hotel.

Rue des Minimes

Created at the same time as Place Royale in 1607, it bordered the Convent of the Minimes

Rue de Montmorency

The Montmorency had their hotel there from the 13th to the 17th centuries, located at No. 5; this hotel returned to Nicolas Fouquet in 1651. The street merged in 1768 with the rue Courtauvillain which extended it.
At N ° 51 is of course what is considered to be the oldest house in Paris: the Maison du Grand-Pignon by Nicolas Flamel. Its ground floor included two shops and the central door gave access to the staircase. This house lost its gable at the end of the 18th century.

Rue du Pas de la Mule

Opened in 1604 at the same time as Place Royale (des Vosges) under the name of Royale, it owes its name to a mount or "no mule". It was named rue des Vosges from 1862 to 1893.
At N ° 3 was the 17th century Fosse aux Lions cabaret; very beautiful old courtyard.

Rue Pastourelle

The rue d'Anjou au Marais, opened in 1626 and the rue Pastourel, opened in 1296 under the name of Groignet, were joined together in 1877 in a single lane.
Roger Pastourel, Member of Parliament in 1378/1381 owned a house in the street which took his name in the 14th century.
N ° 5: Hotel de Montauglan under Louis XIII then La Vieuville under the Regency.
N ° 6 - 8: 17th century hotel divided in 1728 after de La Vieuville's acquisition of the current N ° 6. N ° 8 entered Sartine's family at the same time.
N ° 11: Hotel Bertin, financier who had built a theater in this hotel which he intended for his mistress Mlle Hus; vestiges remain.
N ° 23: Location of a house demolished in 1950 where the craftsman Bérard, author in 1793 of the Carmagnole, lived

Rue Portefoin

Named rue Richard-des-Poulies in 1282 (due to the weaver Richard), it was inhabited later, in the 14th century, by Jean Portefin who gave it its name, deformed in the 17th century in Wallet.
N ° 1 - 3 - 5: Houses which were part of the Children's Hospital.
N° 2: Here was the entrance to the chapel of this hospital.
N ° 11 and 13: 17th century hotel.
N ° 12: Location of a 17th century hotel which belonged to the Turgot dynasty.
N ° 14: 17th century hotel of which only vestiges remain.
N ° 19: House built at the end of the 16th century whose numbering is old.

Rue Quincampoix

Born from the merger of the very old Quincampoix street from the 12th century, which probably owed its name to one of its inhabitants, with the rue des Cinq-Diamants (from Courroirie to the 13th century), merger of 1851.
N ° 2: Old corbelled house.
N ° 10, 12, 13, 14 and 15: 18th century facades and doors
N ° 31: The St-Josse church built in 1235 was there. It was destroyed during the Revolution.
N ° 36: Listed house
N ° 38 - 40: Entrance to the office of the Merciers-Joailliers Corporation since the 14th century.
N ° 41: Old gable house.
N° 43: The cobbler's stall that was used for the legging at the time of Law was there. He rented it 100 to 200 pounds a day, sometimes more.
N ° 54: Location of the Cabaret de l'Epée de Bois in a 16th century house destroyed in 1958. It was a tavern for musicians and dancers which became a haunt of rich gamblers when Law moved into the street in 1719. It was there that the Earl of Horn's business took place; this cousin of the Regent assassinated with an accomplice (of Miles) the broker Lacroix, new enriched; which created a huge scandal. Arrested, the authors were rolled up in Place de Grève;
N ° 60: 18th century hotel
N ° 65: Location of the 16th-century Hôtel de Beaufort in which Law installed its Banque Générale in 1719. The building disappeared when the rue Rambuteau was opened from 1838 N ° 82: Remains of the Molière theater founded in 1791 and closed in 1832
N ° 90: There was the bell that rang in the evening to evacuate the street full of thugs in the days of Law; often insufficient, this means had to be supplemented by the arrival of the watchman.

Rue Reaumur

When the St Martin Market was built in 1765, two streets were opened on both sides: the rue Royale St Martin and the rue du Marché St Martin. These two streets merged in 1851 under the current name, which was extended twice, three and seven years later; this last extension made disappear the very old street Frépaux which went back to the 14th century.

A final extension between St Denis and ND des Victoires streets took place in 1896 and was inaugurated by President Félix Faure in February of the following year. This last extension led to the destruction of the houses on the even side of old rue Thévenot, from the 14th century, whose houses on the odd side remain between N ° 65 to 87 of rue Réaumur.
Among these destroyed houses, ex N ° 12 was the residence of Joséphine de Beauharnais in 1781/82, the time when Eugène was born, and ex N ° 20 was the town hall of the old 5th arrondissement before the Haussmannian absorption of 1860
N ° 77, 83, 85 and 87: Old houses of the old rue Thévenot
N ° 82: The A Réaumur stores were built at the same time as the street, in 1894
N ° 111 and 113: Before 1914, La République newspaper and La Liberté newspaper