Le Marais - Paris 4th district

Le Marais - Paris 4

QUAI D'ANJOU

Built from 1614 to 1647 by the architect Marie; a part was called of Alençon, in honor of the brother of Louis XIII, Gaston, duke of Anjou, of Alençon and of Orleans.
This quay has many hotels built at the same time: Lambert hotel (N ° 1), Le Vau hotel, built by itself for itself (N ° 3), hotels with numbers 5, 7, 9 to 15 and , of course, the Lauzin hotel at N ° 17 which is used today by the City of Paris, owner since 1928, for receptions. Other original hotels from numbers 19 to 43, a number of which were also built by Le Vau.

RUE D'ARCOLE

The Greve footbridge was built in 1828 on this site and was reserved for pedestrians; it was a suspended footbridge, which saw the death of the young Arcole who was killed there by planting a tricolor flag during the day of July 28, 1830; "Remember my name is Arcole" he exclaimed as he fell (his name was probably Jean Fournier).
In 1855, the footbridge was replaced by the current bridge, and therefore received the name of Arcole.

RUE DES BARRES

Name from a locality found in 1152 and surrounded by mills
N ° 2 to 10: The Hôtel des Barres was built in 1250 and replaced at the beginning of the 17th century by the Hôtel de Charny, headquarters of the section of the Commune where Robespierre Jeune was brought on 9 Thermidor before his execution the next day.
N ° 11 was the Little Temple, warehouse belonging to the Templars
N ° 17: House from 1735 belonging to the factory of St Gervais before the Revolution.

PLACE BAUDOYER

Very old place, it owes its name to the Baudoyer gate of the 11th century, gate of the second enclosure of Paris which was located at this location. In October 1131, the eldest son of Louis VI the Fat, unseated by his horse frightened by a group of wandering pigs, fell and perished on Place Baudoyer; a cross perpetuated this memory until the end of the 17th century.
The town hall of the 4th arrondissement was built in 1866/68, then redone in 1884 after its fire by the Municipality

RUE DES BLANCS MANTEAUX

Very old road before the 13th century and called at that time the Little Parchmentery; in 1288, it received its current name from the white coats worn by begging monks, the Serfs of the Virgin Mary, installed in this street (N ° 4 to 10) in 1258 by Louis IX. In 1297, they were replaced by the Hermits of St Guillaume, nicknamed the Guillemites. The convent was rebuilt in 1685 and sold in 1797
At No. 12: There is the ND des Blancs Manteaux church, also rebuilt in 1685.
At No. 16: The Municipal Credit, formerly the Mont-de-Piété (pious foundation created in Italy to combat wear and tear), was installed here by Louis XVI in 1777
At N ° 27: Cabaret of the Armed Man, today disappeared.
N ° 47: Location of the house where Turcatti, accuser of the Marquis de Favras, suspected of having organized a plot against Louis XVI, lived. Favras was hanged on February 10, 1790 and Turcatti committed suicide some time after.

QUAI BOURBON

Built between 1614 and 1646, it was called de la République in 1792
N ° 1: Cabaret du franc Pinot from 1616, with its classified grids.
N ° 19: François Mouchet, pupil of Greuze, who forced Louis XVI to style the Phrygian cap during the day of June 20, 1792 at the Tuileries, lived on the ground floor
All the houses and Hotels up to N ° 55 are remarkable

RUE DU BOURG TIBOURG

Born from the merger in 1868 of the street of the same name with the rue du Vieux cemetery St Jean. It has several very old houses (N ° 8, 10, 22, 24, 26, 35, 37, 39 ....)

QUAI DES CÉLESTINS

Built in 1430, it was joined by the Quai St Paul and the Quai des Ormes (from 1370) in 1868. de la Bastille, transported here in 1899
N ° 2: Hôtel de Fieubet, classified
N ° 32: Location of the Barbeau tower, termination on the Seine of the enclosure of Philippe Auguste

Rue CHANOINESSE

Historically central street of the Notre-Dame cloister, it encompassed two streets in 1874: the rue de la Colombe and the rue des Marmousets. The Notre-Dame cloister was an enclosure surrounded by walls with only 4 doors, where the canons of the cathedral lived, and where there was neither tavern nor craftsman; women were even excluded from it in the 14th century. This district is the only vestige of the Ile de la Cité before Haussmann
N ° 12: 17th century hotel
N ° 14: House where Bichat lived and where he died
N ° 18: Remains of the first Gallo-Roman enclosure in Paris
N ° 22 and 24: Old houses