Le Marais - Paris 4th district

Le Marais - Paris 4

PLACE DU MARCHE CATHERINE

Opened in 1783 on the former priory of Ste Catherine du Val des Ecoliers.

PONT MARIE

Built from 1614 to 1630 by architect Christophe Marie, the bridge carried houses, as was the case at the time. A flood washed away part of the bridge with its houses on March 1, 1658, and a temporary wooden bridge was laid; this part was rebuilt in stones in 1670 without a house, which gave the bridge its very particular aspect (three arches with houses, two without house). As with all Parisian bridges, the houses disappeared from 1741 until 1788. Classified bridge.

BOULEVARD MORLAND

It replaced the Quai du Mail created at the end of the reign of Louis XV, which ran alongside the little arm of the Seine separating it from Ile Louviers. This mall was created by Henry IV to beautify the adjoining Arsenal. In 1806 it was given the name of Colonel Morland killed at Austerlitz. In1843, Louviers Island was attached to the right bank

RUE DES NONNAINS D'HYERES

The nuns of the Benedictine Community of Yerres bought in 1280 the House of the Magpie, located at the location of No. 14, to make it their Parisian residence. This street was completely modernized in the 20th century.

RUE PAVEE

Former street cited in 1235 under the name of Petit-Marivaux then of Petit-Marais in 1406. It was the first paved street in the district, hence the name it took in 1450. It was extended in 1838 until the future rue de Rivoli
N ° 10: Synagogue built by Hector Guimard in 1913
N ° 11 and 13: Hotel dating from Charles VI and rebuilt in 1517 and seized for debts by King François I,; he received several British ambassadors in the 16th century. It was bought by Duke Charles III of Lorraine to enlarge its adjoining property. Rebuilt once again in 1634, it was divided at the end of the 17th century into the Hôtel des Marets and the Hôtel d'Herbouville. Beautiful doors.
N ° 12: Hotel from 1632 having belonged to Loménie de Brienne who sold it in 1784 to François Tronchet who was one of Louis XVI's lawyers
N ° 14 to 22: Location of the Petite-Force prison from 1785 to 1845, date on which the opening of rue Malher made it disappear.
N ° 24: Hôtel de Lamoignon previously in Angoulême. Built in 1584 by Androuet du Cerceau for Diane de France, Duchess of Angoulême and daughter of Henri II. She died there at 81 years old in 1619, yielding her residence to Charles de Valois, natural son of Charles IX, who made it a den of brigands and who had become the terror of the district. Married at 70 with Françoise de Nargonne, aged 20, he died there in 1650, and his widow in 1713, almost 140 years after her stepfather Charles IX. Françoise de Valois knew the little Belloy in Versailles, future archbishop of Paris who died himself in 1808 in his 100th year after seeing a newborn baby called Louis-Napoleon, future Napoleon III .... thus Belloy will have known the beautiful -daughter of Charles IX and Napoleon III, distant figures of 3 centuries!
Long before she died, she sold the Hotel to the Lamoignon family in 1688, whose illustrious descendant, Chrétien-Guillaume de Lamoignon de Malesherbes was the defender of Louis XVI, which led him to be beheaded in 1794 at 73 years old. However, the Hotel was sold in 1774 and knew a whole series of owners who rented it to individuals and businesses; Alphonse Daudet lived there and his son Léon was born there.
Acquired in 1928 by the city of Paris, it installed the Historical Library there.
At the corner of rue des Francs-Bourgeois, the inscription "SC" designates the fiefdom of Ste Catherine du Val des Ecoliers

RUE RAMBUTEAU

Street opened in 1838 mainly on the site of the Convent of the Daughters of St Magloire. And named rue de la République in 1849 before resuming its name thereafter.
Its piercing eliminated three old streets: the 13th century rue Traînée, the 12th century rue de la Chanverrerie and the rue des Ménétriers, formerly jugglers.
The enclosure of Philippe Auguste passed at level N ° 5
Jacques Coeur lived at N ° 49 (missing house)
Former Corinth cabaret at No. 102

RUE RIVOLI

The first part of this route was opened under this name between St Florentin and Rohan streets from 1800 to 1835 with buildings in Percier and Fontaine, exempt for 30 years from all property tax. The street was opened on the site of the gardens of the Feuillants convent, which became famous during the Revolution.
In 1849 the street was extended to the east when the surroundings of the Louvre were cleared and the Place du Palais Royal was created; this work lasted seven years. This extension removed a number of small streets, some of which dated from the 13th century.
N ° 1, 3, 16 and 18: Location of the Hospice du Petit St Antoine
N ° 56: The department store A la tour St Jacques was there in the 19th century
N ° 60: Bazaar of the Hôtel de Ville founded in 1860, which was still a modest store in 1880
N ° 100: Location until 1930 of the very large and very old A Pigmalion store, founded in 1793…

RUE DU ROI DE SICILE

Born from the merger in 1868 of the street of the same name, from the 13th century, with the rue de Bercy St Jean, also from the 13th century
N ° 2: and 4: Hotels of the King of Sicily and La Force

RUE DES ROSIERS

It is an old covered way inside the enclosure of Philippe Auguste who was already mentioned under this name in 1230, because the neighbouring gardens were filled with roses. It continued along the future street of the Jews which made a bend with it. This street was the center of a small Jewish quarter established there in the 12th century
N ° 17, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27, 29, 31 and 32: Old houses
N ° 23: Remains of a 17th century hotel
N ° 38, 42, 44, 52, 56 and 58: Old houses

RUE SAINT-ANTOINE

Originally, it was the old Roman road which started from Paris towards the south-east via Melun. Inside the walls, it started from the Baudoyer gate under the name of rue de la Porte Baudoyer and became rue du Pont Perrin after crossing the St Antoine gate of the enclosure of Philippe Auguste (name due to the proximity of 'a sewer), and ended at the foot of the Bastille after its construction in 1370; we left Paris bypassing the fortress from the north, by the Petite rue St Antoine
The first two streets merged at the beginning of the 15th century under the name of Rue St Antoine, since it led to the Abbaye St Antoine, located outside the walls. The old rue du Pont Perrin, which was very wide, was a place for walking (The Château des Tournelles being close) which was sometimes nicknamed Cours St Antoine
In 1854 (opening of the rue de Rivoli) and in 1865 (Haussmann), it lost part of its even side.
N ° 5: Location of the entrance to the Bastille
N ° 7, 9 and 13: Old houses
N ° 17: Convent of the Daughters of the Visitation of St. Mary, installed in 1628 in the Hôtel de Cossé, former Hôtel d'Etampes. François Mansart added in 1632/1634 a chapel. St Vincent de Paul was chaplain of the convent from that date until 1660.
The convent was abolished in 1790 and its chapel became the republican club of Théroigne de Méricourt before being assigned to the Protestant cult in 1803 (the funeral of Benjamin Constant was celebrated there in 1830, and Nicolas Fouquet was buried there). In 1805 Castex Street was opened on the site of the convent, and only the chapel remains

N ° 21: Hôtel d'Ormesson, formerly de Mayenne, built in 1613 on the site of the Hôtel du Petit Musc (14th century), then called Hôtel de Boissy.
Inhabited by Henri de Lorraine in 1613, it was bought in 1759 by Le Fèvre d'Ormesson, finance manager; his son refused in 1792 the function of Mayor of Paris. In 1812 the Hotel became the Favart Institution, then the Jauffret Institution in 1858. The Brothers of the Christian Schools finally settled there in 1870. Classified hotel.
N ° 27 to 41: Old houses
N ° 62: In front of this number, on the road, location of the Carrousel of June 30, 1559 which ended with royal jousts; King Henry II was killed in one of them while opposing the captain of his Scottish guard, Montgomery; his lance broke and entered the right eye of the king, who died ten days later at the Hôtel des Tournelles, despite the care of Ambroise Paré and Vésale.
At No. 62, stands the Hôtel de Sully built from 1624 to 1630 by Androuet du Cerceau on the site of the Hôtel de La Mouffe which belonged to Juvénal des Ursins in the 15th century. He returned to the Duke of Sully, then aged 74 in 1634, who added the Petit Hôtel de Sully to it, opening Place Royale.
In 1752, the Hotel passed to the Turgot family and then to the Boisgelin family in 1771. Sold in 1800 to different owners, it was very mutilated and damaged until it was bought by the state, which restored it entirely. Classified hotel.


N ° 101: Location of the Porte St Antoine of the Philippe Auguste enclosure (1190) in front of the entrance to the Lycée Charlemagne. It was demolished in 1382 during the construction of the new door of the enclosure of Charles V. The Lycée Charlemagne settled in the old professed house of the Jesuits in 1797, first under the name of Central School; he became a Lycée in October 1804. The concierge's lodge was carved out of the remains of Philippe Auguste's enclosure, and many vestiges from the time of the Jesuits remain today.
St Louis des Jésuites church: its first stone was laid in 1627 by Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu celebrated the first mass there on May 9, 1641. Bourdaloue, the famous preacher officiated there for many years; the whole Court rushed to hear him. The hearts of Louis XIII and Louis XIV were deposited there and later sold during the Revolution to the painter Saint-Martin to make mummies, very high quality brown paint. However, this painter used only part of the heart of Louis XIV and returned everything to Louis XVIII at the Restoration. He was rewarded by the Monarch.
The church was closed from 1792 to 1802 when the name of St Paul was added to it in memory of this church demolished in 1799
N ° 103 to 109: and 115-117: Old houses. In 117: Former Bal des Acacias then of the Reine Blanche from 1842; Louise Michel chaired political meetings there before the Commune. N ° 133: Hôtel Séguier, partially classified.