Le Marais - Paris 4th district

Le Marais - Paris 4

Rue CHARLEMAGNE

The path connecting the Porte Baudoyer to a St Paul chapel which was mentioned in the 7th century is the origin of this street which was cut in two by the enclosure of Philippe Auguste at the St Paul postern. You could find the street names of the St Paul Priests or the St Paul Arch in the 13th century. The proximity of the Charlemagne high school gave it its name in 1844.
N ° 1/3/5: Old houses
N ° 2/4: Factory of St Paul's church until the Revolution. Built in 1650
N ° 8: Fountain of 1846. A tower of the enclosure of Philippe Auguste remains at the corner of the rue des jardins St Paul; this is the Montgoméry tower, from the old Poterne St-Paul
N ° 13: Small Charlemagne high school built on the site of the Ave Maria convent
N ° 10/18: Lycée Charlemagne fitted out in the former Jesuit house in 1804
N ° 23: Old house with the names of the streets which are inscribed on both sides

RUE DES ECOUFFES

Dating from the early 13th century, it bears its name from the start; this name comes from a sign representing an escoufle, that is to say a pawnbroker. Its southern part, which was called rue Tiron, was attached to it when rue de Rivoli was created there in 1854. Several very old houses (N ° 2, 5, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 212 and 23)

QUAI AUX FLEURS

Formed in 1804 under the name of Napoleon then of the City under the Restoration before taking its current name in 1879. The old Port St Landry, the oldest in the City, was at this location; it was replaced by the port of La Grève (town hall square) in 1141. Likewise, the 15th century Hôtel des Ursins was here until 1563. At number 9 was the house of Heloise and Abelard.

RUE DES FRANCS BOURGEOIS

Formed from the meeting of the following streets in 1868:
- rue Neuve Ste Catherine, opened in the 16th century
- rue des Vieilles pulies, from the 13th century
- rue des Jardins, 12th century
- rue de l'Echarpe dating from Henry IV, whose name comes from a cabaret located at N ° 7 of the current street.
The rue des Vieilles pulies received in 1500 the name of Francs-Bourgeois because there had been since 1334 a house receiving the poor exempt from any tax; this name was extended to all the way at the time of the meeting of 1868. This “house of alms” was at numbers 34 and 36, and was replaced by the Hotel Poussepin in 1603.
Nos. 14 and 16; Hotel Carnavalet, now the museum of the history of Paris.
N ° 25: Hôtel de Lamoignon, N ° 26: Hôtel Le Mayrat, classified, N ° 30: Hôtel Jean de Fourcy
N ° 31: Hotel d'Albret. Built from 1550, then rebuilt by Mansard in 1640, it was bought eight years later from César-Phoëbus d'Albret, which has no connection with Jeanne d'Albret, despite the inscription of the front door. . On the other hand, an adventurer, Françoise d'Aubigné, entered the service of the owner, Mme de Montespan, favorite of Louis XIV, and was thus able to approach the king. Little by little, she replaced Mme de Montespan in the heart of the monarch from 1684 and became Mme de Maintenon. She secretly married the king that same year, Queen Marie-Thérèse having died the previous year.
The Hotel is classified as a whole
N ° 38: In this old Allée des Arbalétriers, Jean Sans Peur had the Duke of Orleans assassinated who left the Hôtel Barbette on November 24, 1407
The Barbette Hotel: In the 13th century, there stood a vast country estate belonging to the provost of the Merchants of Philippe IV le Bel; replaced by a fine hotel at the end of the 14th century, it was visited by Charles VI the day before his first dementia attack; his wife, Isabeau of Bavaria, settled there to live his scandalous life. Later, Diane de Poitiers lived there; after his death, the Hotel was sold in 1563 and subdivided. He has completely disappeared
Several Hotels: Hôtel Hérouët (N ° 42), Hôtel de Clisson, de Guise and Soubise (National Archives since 1808) at N ° 60

BOULEVARD HENRI IV

Drilled by Haussmann in 1866 on part of the Célestins convent, located at current N ° 12. This convent was founded in 1352 and spread quickly thanks to the benefits of Charles V. Many famous figures were buried there from the 14th to the 18th century, as were several hearts of kings; those of Jean II Le Bon, Henri II, François II, and Charles IX. Abolished in 1779, the order was replaced by various institutions before becoming a barracks of national guards in 1791. After several tenants, the current barracks of the Republican Guard was built in 1895 on the site of the convent. The location of the Bastille drawbridge is at No. 46

PLACE DE L’HOTEL DE VILLE

Designed at the beginning of the 12th century, this place was the famous Place de Grève until 1802. King Louis VII sold this site in 1141 to the Water Merchants to establish a port there which was to receive the goods to supply Paris.
In 1246, St Louis created the first Parisian municipality led by aldermen whose chief was the Prévôt des Marchands and installed it in the Parlor for the Bourgeois, at the Grand Châtelet.
In 1357, Etienne Marcel transferred the municipal administration to the Maison aux Piliers located on the site of the current City Hall. This house was replaced by a very beautiful building designed by Le Boccador between 1543 and 1551. On May 24, 1871 the building was burnt down by the communards (the city archives were there), then rebuilt almost identical to 1873 to 1883 by Ballu and Deperthes
From Philippe le Bel, a large cross rose on the southern part of the square; it was intended for the last prayers of the tortured who were executed on this place from 1310 until the guillotine which made its debut there on April 25, 1792. This cross also served as a benchmark for Parisians during the floods. Enlarged for the first time in 1778, the area of ​​Place de Grève was quadrupled by Haussmann in 1853 when he removed all the small streets that surrounded it.
The unemployed workers long ago got into the habit of gathering in this square.... they "went on strike".

RUE SAINT PAUL

This street took in 1912 the Place du Passage St Pierre which led to the St Paul cemetery; one could also access this cemetery by the Passage St Paul which became rue Neuve St Pierre also in 1912.

RUE JACQUES COEUR

The advance courtyard which gave access to the Bastille had been replaced in 1790 by a wide alley which linked the Petit Arsenal to the Grand Arsenal. This alley was replaced by a street in 1829 which was called the Arsenal in the south, and Jacques Coeur in the north, named after the great financier of King Charles VII.

RUE DES JARDINS SAINT PAUL

Known by this name from 1277, it became rue des Jardins then resumed its initial name during the demolition in 1948 of the houses which hid a large part of the curtain wall of the enclosure of Philippe Auguste (1190-1215) as well as two towers .
N ° 6: Location of the house inhabited by Molière in 1645/1650
N ° 8: Location of the house of Rabelais in which he died in 1553; his house was therefore facing the rampart which he describes in Pantagruel

RUE DE JOUY

Very old route from the 10th or 11th century which linked the Baudoyer gate (from the 11th century) to the church of St Paul des Champs. It was therefore cut in two during the construction of the enclosure of Philippe Auguste, in 1190. It owes its name to the Abbots of Jouy-le-Châtel who had owned a hotel there since 1297 located at the location of Nos. 13, 15 and 17
No. 7; Hotel d'Aumont. 14th century hotel rebuilt by its owner Michel-Antoine Scarron (poet's uncle) in 1644-1648; the architect is Le Vau. Eight years later, the hotel was bought by his son-in-law, Marshal d'Aumont. Then, upon his death, many owners succeed one another. On December 4, 1771, an extraordinary ceremony took place bringing together the greatest Noblesse as well as the "all of Paris" of the time who had come to attend the marriage of Lavoisier (scholar and farmer general) with Claudine Thoynet. Acquired by the City of Paris in 1938, it has since been cleared and restored