Le Marais - Paris 4th district

Le Marais - Paris 4

RUE SAINT LOUIS EN L'ÎLE

When Christophe Marie opened between 1614 and 1646 six streets in Ile Notre Dame, this street, the main one, was divided in two: rue Palatine and rue Carelle; they were merged in 1654 under the name of Marie. In the following century, it was called St Louis, then St Louis en l'Île from the restoration (1814)
N ° 1: Pavillon des Arbalétriers from 1640, annex to the Hôtel de Bretonvilliers on the Quai de Béthune.
N ° 2: Hôtel Lambert, built by Le Vau in 1642 and which remained in the Lambert family until 1732, the year it was bought by Farmer General Claude Dupin. In 1739, it was sold to the Marquise du Châtelet, very close to Voltaire who was very enamored of it. After several owners, it was bought by Adam Czartoryski in 1843, and the family still owns it, even since its division into private apartments. Classified hotel.
N ° 3: 17th century hotel
N ° 5, 7 and 9: Old outbuildings of the Hôtel de Bretonvilliers which cross the street by an arcade. Registration
N ° 10 and 11: Remarkable houses from 1642
N ° 12: House inhabited by engineer Lebon in 1799 when he invented lighting gas
N ° 13, 14 and 15: Beautiful houses built in 1642 and 1655
N ° 17: Location of the Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile Parish cemetery, deleted in 1786
N ° 19bis: Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile Church; a chapel was first built in 1623 but soon became insufficient; the present church was built from 1664 until 1726
The houses of Nos. 22 to 47 are almost all from the 17th century (except 26/28/30/41 and 43)
N ° 51: Hôtel de Chenizot: totally transformed in 1719 by the financier Chenizot, he returned after several owners to Devin de Fontenay who married in 1788 Thérèsa Cabarrus aged 14, who became a few years later "Notre-Dame de Thermidor" when she met Tallien. This hotel was later rented by the City to serve as accommodation for the Archbishop of Paris. It was there that Bishop Affre lived when, on June 25, 1848, he was killed on a barricade in Place de la Bastille. The Hotel became a gendarmerie barracks until 1863. Having suffered from a fire, divided into private apartments, it has since been seriously degraded, despite its classification.
N ° 52 to 57: 17th century buildings; 54 is an entrance to the Jeu de Paume on quai Bourbon
N ° 61: Facade with its 17th century sign, classified.
N ° 71, 74, 76 and 80: 17th century
N ° 82 to 90: Location of a plot of land with eight sets of boules in the 17th century
N ° 90: Poulletier's house, one of the entrepreneurs of Ile St Louis, with Marie

RUE SAINT-PAUL

The street was designated in 1350 and owes its name to the church it ran alongside.
N ° 3 and 4: Location of two old hotels, the Hotel d'Angennes and the Hotel de Vieuville, demolished in the 19th century for the first, and in 1927 for the second.
Pitches of several hotels from the 16th century (Hôtel des Lions at N ° 8, Hôtel de la Reine at N ° 20 to 26), from the 18th century (Hôtel de Lignerac at N ° 5, Hôtel des Bazins at N ° 9, where Hubert Robert had his workshop before the Revolution) and old houses at No. 10, 20, 21, 23, 25, and 26. No. 30 and 32: Church and cemetery of St Paul des Champs: very old institutions dating back to the 10th and 11th centuries , and destroyed in 1796 and 1799
N ° 30: Former St Paul riding school
N ° 36: St Eloi prison: at this place was the very old St Eloi barn. In 1107 the Priory St-Eloi installed a prison there corresponding to its jurisdiction of low justice. Later it became a women's prison, then in 1674 a royal men's prison. Abandoned in 1780, it was demolished in 1792

RUE SAINTE-CROIX-DE-LA-BRETONNERIE

Opened in 1230 on a place called Champs-aux-Bretons, it was called rue de la Grande Bretonnerie, which became Ste Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie in 1314, because the canons of Ste Croix settled there in 1258
N ° 2 to 11: Old houses
N ° 16: House where astronomer Lalande lived
N ° 18 to 20: Old houses from the 18th century
N ° 37: Location of the Menier drugstore, which launched a new chocolate; after 1853, the brand took off thanks to the son of the founder, Emile-Justin.
N ° 44: Hôtel de Kornmann, whose wife had many connections, including Beaumarchais, Lenoir or Cardinal de Rohan at the end of the 18th century.
N ° 47: Turret built in 1610