Paris 15th district Vaugirard

Vaugirard

Convention Street

Opened in 1888, it absorbed most of the small street Lemoult; it received its name in 1893, which commemorates the assembly of the French Revolution which sat from 1792 to 1795. Its breakthrough caused the disappearance of an old small chapel which was replaced in 1898 by the chapel of Sainte-Alexandre, an annex of the parish of Grenelle, located on rue Léontine (Saint - Christophe). A few years later, this chapel was replaced by the church of Saint Christophe de Javel, built in reinforced cement from 1926 to 1934, located at number 28, rue de la Convention. - N°78 : Boucicaut hospital, founded in 1887 by Mrs. Boucicaut who bequeathed 8 million gold francs to the Public Assistance. The hospital was inaugurated in 1897. On August 6, 1918, during the First World War, a shell thrown by Big Bertha exploded in the courtyard of the hospital. The Boucicaut Hospital was decommissioned at the end of 2000 and transformed into an eco-neighborhood.

Rue du Commerce

Formed in 1837, it became the main shopping street of the village of Grenelle. Originally named Saint-Guillaume, it became Rue du Commerce in 1867, then Rue de la Montagne Noire for two months (February - March 1877) to finally take its current name.

Lecourbe Street

 This street honors Claude-Jacques Lecourbe (1759-1815), French general of the Revolution and Empire. This street follows the layout of a Roman road that linked Lutèce to Sèvres and Meudon; in 1672, it was named "Grand Chemin de Bretagne" (Big Path of Brittany), From 1813 to 1851, for the part located between the current Pasteur Boulevard and Cambronne Street, it is a section of the departmental road no. 61. From 1825 to 1865, the year it was annexed by Paris, the road was called " Sèvres street " north of Saint-Lambert street and " big path of the Coalmen " beyond. As it led to the Vaugirard cemetery, it was paved in 1835.In 1865, the Sèvres Street and the " big path of the Coalmen " merged and the road under its current name. During work carried out in 1903, a mammoth lower jaw was found in this street. This street has private lanes, some with a name, such as the Villa Frederic-Mistral, others simply a number. Close to Lecourbe Street (Péclet Street) is the town hall of the 15th arrondissement, opposite which is the war memorial of the 15th arrondissement.

- No 3 the painter Lucien Jonas had a studio there in 1903.

- No51 Orthodox church of St. Seraphim of Sarov (in the courtyard).

- No82 to 96 location of a country house called La Folie (the Madness) on the border of the village of Vaugirard. The villa Poirier has been covering its site since 1890.

- N°91 : headquarters from 1910 to 1924 of the Manecantery of the Little Singers at the Wood Cross.

- No 154 former village hall which now houses the district court, the school fund and the Vaugirard library.

- N°175 to 199 : location of the Frileux Castle, one of the oldest dwellings in the village of Vaugirard (early 17th century). Demolished after the Revolution, it was replaced by an agricultural land. In 1840, a wine merchant's sign bore his name.

- No. 223 Asylum for poor and infirm children run by the friars of the Saint-Jean-de-Dieu center.

- No. 230 Seat of the luggage factory of Antigel.

- No 245/251 site of the Château des deux Girouettes (Two Weathervanes castle), subdivided in 1926, it was replaced by three streets (Commandant-Léandre, François-Mouthon and Jacques-Mawas).

- No 257 home of the painter Paul Gauguin.

- No 318 to 322 cemetery of the village of Vaugirard, founded in 1787 to replace the church cemetery, it was regularly enlarged (1798, 1811, 1816, 1827, 1848, 1850 and 1853). President Paul Doumer and his three sons are buried there.

- No 321 Lycée Louis-Armand, formerly Lecourbe High School, opened in 1973.

- Nos. 349-351 Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth church in Paris.

- No. 364 Le Grand Pavois building in Paris, a vast building complex by architects Fayeton and Hébert.

Vaugirard Street

 The name of the street refers to the former commune of Vaugirard, now integrated into Paris. It is a deformation of " Gérard valley ",( see above).

The longest street in Paris (4360 m) was originally a Roman road linking Lutetia to Dreux. In the Middle Ages, this road corresponded to the road that left Philippe Auguste's enclosure (at the level of the current Monsieur-le-Prince street) in the direction of the village of Vaugirard. Until the 16th century, this road remained rural, but the road became urbanized from 1550. In the 17th century, in the context of the Counter-Reformation, convents were built there ( the Clavary girls), the nuns of the Precious Blood, and the Discalced Carmelites. At the beginning of the 17th century, the Palais du Luxembourg was built on the site of a mid-16th century mansion belonging to François de Piney, Duke of Luxembourg. In the 1780s, the General Farmers' Wall was erected (today's Boulevard Pasteur) and the Vaugirard Gate was built at the entrance of the street.

It is mentioned under the name of " Vaugirard's street " in a manuscript of 1636 whose visit report, dated April 30, 1636, indicates that it is " in some places clean, and in others we wanted several mud and mire ".

At the end of the 18th century, the Odeon theater was built on the grounds of the garden of the Hôtel du Prince de Condé. A law of July 2, 1844 provides for the widening of the street. Just before the French Revolution, the Vaugirard street was part of the Saint-Sulpice parish. The parish continues beyond the General Farmers' Wall on the right side of the Vaugirard street to the surroundings of the Copreaux street where the parish of Vaugirard begins. On the left side of the road, the territory depends on the parish of Saint-Étienne-du-Mont.

After the annexation of Vaugirard to Paris by the law of June 16, 1859, the main street of the village of Vaugirard was officially annexed on May 23, 1863. The rue de Vaugirard and the Great Street of Vaugirard merged on April 2, 1868 to give a street more than four kilometers long. The village of Vaugirard developed along its main street and it is only at the beginning of the 19th century that the commune developed, due in particular to the urbanization of Lecourbe Street in front of the Sevres barrier. When Vaugirard was attached to Paris, the street was almost entirely built between the former Vaugirard Gate and the Versailles Gate.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the street was extended eastward to join the Saint-Michel Boulevard, passing along the Saint-Louis High School, and ending in front of the Sorbonne (but this short extension represents less than 1% of the total length of the street). It has its other end at the Porte de Versailles.

On May 29, 1918, during the First World War, a shell thrown by the Big Bertha exploded at No. 313 rue de Vaugirard. Other shells fell on July 16, 1918 at No. 146 and on August 5, 1918 at No. 353 bis.

The Vaugirard street starts from the Saint-Michel boulevard, at the level of the Sorbonne square and ends at the junction of the Victor and Lefebvre boulevards, at the Versailles gate. Beyond the Marshall boulevards, it is extended by the avenue Ernest-Renan. The roadway is one-way south-north for most of its length; it is two-way on the portion between Rennes Street and Paul Claudel Square, behind the Odéon Theater.

- No. 1 General John Armstrong, Jr., U.S. Ambassador to France, lived in 1810 in the building that stood at this height.

- No. 3 bis: the actor André Falcon lived sixty years in this building. A plaque pays tribute to him.

- No 4 the poet Paul Verlaine frequented this hotel from 1889 to 1894. A plaque pays tribute to him. On the first floor was the brasserie Le Furet where the service was served by women in "sticky jerseys".

- No. 8 The Norwegian writer Knut Hamsun lived and worked in this building between 1893 and 1895. A plaque pays homage to him.

- No 13 site of the Game of Palm of Bel-Air where Lulli transferred the Opera in 1672.

- N°15 Luxembourg Palace, built for Marie de Medici from 1615; in 1643, it became part of the Orleans Family. Prison in 1793, it became the palace of the Senate in 1800, and then, naturally, Chamber of the Peers of the Restoration. He returned to the Senate in 1852, at the beginning of the Second Empire.

- N°17 : The Small Luxembourg, property of Marie de Médicis who sold it to Richelieu to reach in 1674 the powerful family of Condé. At the end of the 18th century, it returned to the Count of Provence (future Louis XVIII), then to the Directors in 1795 to return to the Condé family under the Restoration. Finally, it is the residence of the President of the Chamber of Peers, then of the President of the Senate.

- N°19 : Remains of the Convent of the Daughters of Calvary, founded in 1625; under the Revolution, it was a gendarmes' barracks, and it is from there that those who arrested Robespierre le IX Thermidor left

-  Nearby: Luxembourg Garden, whose history is linked to that of the Palace.

- N°18 : Odeon Theater

- N°28 bis: location of the famous Foyot Restaurant, closed in 1938.

- N°50 : La Trémoille Hotel of the 17th century; partly classified

- N°70 Convent of the Discalced Carmelites; created in 1611, and rebuilt in 1613-1616; the church of St. Joseph became a prison during the Revolution and suffered the September Massacres (1792). It was there that Josephine de Beauharnais was locked up, who narrowly escaped the guillotine by declaring herself pregnant; we had to verify her claims, but we were the.... 8 Thermidor. It became the Marronniers' Ball in 1795 and was quickly returned to the cult. In 1875, the Monastery became the Catholic Institute.

- N°130 - 132 : old houses

- N°133 : location of the Pointe mill, from 1610 to 1725

- N°183 : beginning of the Great Street of the village of Vaugirard

- N°205 : Pasteur Institute

- N°226 former inn of the Golden Sun, built at the end of the reign of Louis XIV; it is there that the conspiracy of the Grenelle camp took place in 1796, a gathering of former Mountaineers who wanted to overthrow the Directory.

- N°242 - 244 - 275 - 281 - 289 old houses. Note also that of 323