Paris 15th district Dupleix - Motte Picquet

Dupleix - Motte Picquet

Grenelle Boulevard

 The name of the boulevard, from 1864, refers to the former commune of Grenelle which it ran alongside. Formerly, it was : outside the former wall of the General Farmers' Grant:

- the boulevard de Javel, for the part located between the current Grenelle quay and rue de Lourmel ;

- the Grenelle boulevard, for the part located between the current Lourmel street and Commerce street;

Meudon boulevard, for the part located between the current Trade Street and Cambronne square; inside the former General Farmers' Wall:

- the "chemin de Ronde de Grenelle" for the part located between the current Branly quay and Daniel-Stern street;

- part of the Military School's patrol path, for the part located between the current Daniel-Stern Street and Cambronne Square.

- The General Farmers' Wall presented two barriers: the Cunette barrier, near the river, and the Ministers' barrier, blocking Lourmel street. By the decree of November 10, 1885, the part of Grenelle Boulevard between Avenue de Breteuil and Cambronne Square was given the name "Garibaldi Boulevard". This site is served by the Cambronne, La Motte-Picquet - Grenelle, Dupleix and Bir-Hakeim metro stations. Remarkable buildings and places of memory The central median is occupied by the metro viaduct (line 6).

- No 1 headquarters of the Big Rock Sporting Club.

- Site of the Winter Velodrome, inaugurated on October 30, 1910, and made infamous during the war (the Vel d'Hiv roundup). It was demolished in 1959.

- No 10 headquarters of Le Parisien since 2017.

- Nos. 44-46 building built by Yves Lion from 1995 to 1997.

- No 55 in 1958 the film Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (Elevator for the scaffold) by Louis Malle.

- No. 61 location of the Barrier of Ministers (see above).

- No 87 built by the architect Riolo, it is the headquarters of the French Football Federation; formerly the technical center of French aluminum until the 1970s and 1980s (which explains the wall low-reliefs) illustrating this metallurgy.

- No. 107 home of resistance fighter Roland Agon, who died for the Liberation of Paris; a plaque pays tribute to him at 52, La Motte-Picquet avenue.

- No. 123 H15 lane, which housed the Parisian factory of electrical control and industrial equipment (MECI) until the 1970s and is now the headquarters of France Loisirs.

- No. 135 electrical substation for the Paris metro built by architect Paul Friesé in 1911. It was responsible for supplying the stations with low-voltage direct current to reduce the risks for users. This building housed the engine room on the first floor (at the level of the bay windows) and the battery room on the second floor. The front is made of brick, with metal pillars separating the bay windows, with three arches at the top. Disused from the 1960s, the substation became an RATP service room around 2000.

Lamotte-Picquet Avenue

Opened in two stages, first in 1680 and then in 1775 after the construction of the military school (completed in 1757), it was named Military School Avenue at Les Invalides; in 1791 it was named after the General Lieutenant of the naval armies, Picquet de la Motte (1720 - 1791). It was ceded to the city of Paris in 1838. It was amputated in 1933 of a part large enough for the formation of the Place Joffre. Famous for its breweries of the early 20th century, it crosses several districts of the 15th arrondissement and runs along the Champ de Mars and the military school.

- N°18 location of the Cirque de Paris in 1907

Suffren Avenue

This road, opened in 1770, which bordered the Champs-de-Mars, received its name from the beginning; it was extended in 1867. At N° 74 was located the Great Wheel of Paris, built in 1898 for the exhibition of 1900. It was 106 meters high and had 40 wooden gondolas, first and second class, which could hold 30 people. In 1922, the gondolas were removed and recovered by merchants who used them to organize the future Swiss Village. Finally, in 1937, the whole was dismantled to recover the metal.