In 1800, Lucien Bonaparte decided to open an avenue between the Madeleine and Monceau, a decision confirmed eight years later. In 1824, Louis XVIII decided to give it the name of his brother, Louis XVI’s counsel for the defense. The construction of this boulevard led to the disappearance of many private mansions, and notably in rue d'Anjou. At number 8 was the first Church of the Madeleine, founded in 1238, which had an adjoining cemetery. Demolished in 1798, it was replaced by the current Madeleine, built from 1764 to 1842. This boulevard is mainly lined with luxurious freestone buildings with 5-room + apartments. It extends from La Madeleine to Porte d'Asnières, crossing Place de General Catroux.
In an elegant Art Deco private mansion at 114 bis (formerly the Hotel Allard de Chollet), the Ecole Normale de Musique draws students from all over the world, as does the prestigious Lycée Carnot at n° 145, formerly Monge school founded in 1869. It became Lycee Carnot on December 28th 1894.