Le Marais - Paris 12

Le Marais - Paris 12

 The great road to Charenton, which existed since the 6th century, has shaped this district over time. The village of Reuilly, the Abbey of St Antoine, the hamlet of Picpus, the hamlet of St Mandé and Bercy were born around it. It was at the end of the 15th century that the whole area gained importance and under Colbert that industries developed there; Follies and convents also appeared at this time.
Later Haussmann traced the Boulevard Diderot and the Daumesnil avenue, and Alphand designed the Wood of Vincennes; this would shape this district, described in 1960 as "a residential district in some places, popular in others, with shops on the edge of the street,
industrial in its courtyards, embracing the vast expanses of rails and buildings of one of the largest railway stations in the world (the Lyon train station)". Despite the current transformations that are shaking up certain districts of the 12th arrondissement, this description remains true today.

DAUMESNIL AVENUE

 Created in 1859 between Lyon Street and Félix-Eboué Place (then Barrière of Bercy Place) and extended three years later up to the Picpus Gate, the complex was given the name Vincennes Boulevard. The creation of the avenue had absorbed two old roads: Beccaria Street and the Marais Road.
Five years later, the Vincennes boulevard took the name of General Daumesnil, who died in 1836, and who was the defender of the Vincennes castle during the sieges of 1814 and 1815. In 1930, its extension to Saint-Mandé was added to it. When the avenue was created, the Vincennes railway viaduct, which runs alongside it on its left, was inaugurated (on 22 September 1859); it linked Bastille Square to La Varenne-Saint-Maur.
N°23 - 25: Site of the famous Mazas jail, disused in 1898 and destroyed in 1900.
N°130: The town hall of the former municipality of Bercy had been there since 1844; on 1 January 1860, when Paris was enlarged, it became the town hall of the 12th arrondissement. Burnt down during the Commune in 1871, it was rebuilt from 1874 to 1879.
N°174: Fountain of the Lions
N°185: Reuilly station of the Vincennes railway (see above)
N°186: Church of the Holy Spirit, art deco style, built from 1928 to 1935 by Paul Tournon

PUCPUS STREET

This very old road is the result of the fusion in 1868 of Picpus street, a path crossing the village of Picquepusse in the 12th century, which became Piquepus, Picpuce then Picpusse and finally Picpus in the 16th century. The Red Cross Road, part of the road from Saint-Denis to Saint-Maur
N°4: Former 18th-century nursing home where Saint-Just was locked up in 1786 for theft (he was 17 years old).
N°12: Location of a country house in Ninon de Lenclos, which became a hospice in 1817. Demolished in 1905 when the Dorian street was broken through.
N°22: Location under the Restoration of the Picpus military hospital, Val-de-Grâce branch
N°35: Former 17th-century Convent of the Canonesses whose gardens became in 1794 the Picpus cemetery intended to receive the bodies of the decapitated from the Place du Trône (overthrown) during the Terror.
N°43 - 45: Congregation and boarding school of The Mother of God during the Second Empire. Currently a primary school.
N°61: Convent of the Religious of Picpus founded at the end of the 16th century and closed in 1790.
N°60 - 62: Convent of the Holy Heart of Mary of 1852
N°76: Jewish hospital founded in 1852 by the Rothschilds
N°88: Inscription of 1727 forbidding building beyond this limit.

DIDEROT BOULEVARD

 Opened in 1851/52 under the name Mazas Boulevard; its opening had been prescribed as early as 1814. In 1879, it took the name of Diderot.
N°20: Lyon train station. When the avenue was built, the Vincennes railway viaduct, which runs alongside it on its left, was inaugurated (on 22 September 1859); it linked Bastille Square to La Varenne-Saint-Maur.
N°23 - 25: Site of the famous Mazas prison, disused in 1898 and destroyed in 1900.
N°57 - 63: Fire station built in 1881

LEDRU ROLLIN AVENUE

Opened in 1806, it was extended in 1859 to Avenue Daumesnil and in 1864 was renamed Lacuée Avenue (the name of a colonel killed in 1805). In 1879, it took its current name. It was extended once again in 1883/87, then in 1895 and 1912 and finally completed in 1931!
N°4 - 10: Water distribution plant
N°66: Saint-Antoine des Quinze-Vingts church of 1903
N°94: Eden-Concert, transformed into a cinema in 1914

SAINT-ANTOINE FAUBOURG STREET

The very old road which was called after the Saint Antoine Gate to the abbey, then chaussée de Chelles and Chemin de Vincennes afterwards. Entirely built in the 17th century, it saw many revolutionary acts: the Fronde (July 1652), the plundering of the Reveillon house (27 April 1789), Trois Glorieuses (July 1830), days of June 1848, Barricades of 3 December 1851.
N°1: House where Fieschi prepared his attack on Louis-Philippe
N°4: Mgr Affre was wounded to death at this place on 25th June 1848.
N°5/7 : La Belle Fermière shop transferred to the Cité under the name of La Belle Jardinière in 1824.
N°18: 18th century Pascal Lamb House
N°33: 17th-century house
N°45 to 59 : Succession of old courses: Saint-Louis, Nom-de-Jésus, du Bel-Air, Viguès
N°61: Trogneux fountain from the early 18th century, rebuilt in 1807
N°65/73: Old houses
N°74: Former Court of Miracles (Court of Burgundy)
N°98: Location of a furniture market that was held there in the open air every Saturday throughout the 19th century; it was called La Trôle. It ceased in 1914
N°106/118: Hospice for Foundlings until 1904
N°151: 18th-century building in front of which Member of Parliament, Baudin was killed on 3 December 1851
N°151 to 170: Succession of old houses
N°184/186: Site of the remains of the Royal Abbey of Saint-Antoine-des-Champs, founded in 1198, it became the Eastern Hospital (1796) then Saint-Antoine Hospital in 1802. A certain number of old buildings remain
N°191: House of the Virgin
N°202, 206, 220: Old houses from the 17th and 18th centuries
N°254: Eugène Napoléon orphanage. Built from 1854 to 1856 on the plans of the necklace offered by the City for his engagement, which Empress Eugénie had refused and whose budget she had given up for the construction of this orphanage.