Le Marais - Paris 11th district

Le Marais - Paris 11

PLACE DE LA BASTILLE

The fortress, dating from Charles V, was not located exactly in the center of the square but at the end of rue St Antoine and Bd Henri IV; its destruction began on July 17, 1789 by the "patriot Palloy" and was completed in October.
Until the end of 2019, its location was drawn on the pavement. The current appearance of the square dates from Haussmann works.
The guillotine was installed there three days, from June 9 to 12, 1794 before leaving Place du Trône, and had time to execute 73 people.
On December 2, 1808, the first stone of a fountain, which must have been shaped like an elephant, was laid; only the base was built, as well as a plaster model on the south side of the square; this model, in the course of decay, was not razed until 1847; µIn 1833, we used the base of 1809 to erect the column of July, propaganda tool of the new regime resulting from the days of July 1830. In its base are grouped the remains of the 504 victims of these days, joined by the 196 victims of February 1848.
In 1871, the Communards tried to bring down the column, but without success.

BOULEVARD BEAUMARCHAIS

After the demolition of the enclosure of Charles V, completed in 1670, the recovered site was transformed into "courtyards", then into Bd St-Antoine at the end of the following century. In 1831 it took its current name and had become a very pleasant promenade. N ° 2 to 20: property that Beaumarchais built in 1787 and where he died in 1799. In 1818, the property gave way to the St Martin canal

PLACE DE LA REPUBLIQUE

Until 1765, it was only a crossroads receiving four lanes: Bd St Martin and du Temple, and the streets of Temple and Faubourg-du-Temple. It was called the Temple Gate after the gate of the same name in the Charles V compound once further south. This crossroads received two new routes in 1765 and 1770: rue des Fossés St-Martin and rue des Fossés du Temple.
On August 15, 1811, a fountain 5 meters high and 13 meters in diameter due to Girard, was inaugurated, and the crossroads took the name of Place du Château d’Eau. A flower market took place there from April 14, 1836, the square having become the meeting place for young conscripts and nannies during the Restoration.
The square took on its present appearance after the opening from 1856 to 1865 of Boulevard Voltaire, Avenue des Amandiers (de la République), and Boulevard de Magenta; the fountain deemed too small on this large square was moved in 1867 to the market in La Villette and replaced seven years later by another fountain, from Davioud, which was also moved to Place Félix Eboué eight years later. Finally, in 1883 the present statue of The Republic was erected, which was inaugurated on July 14, 1884, to emphasize that the republican conservative deputies had recently (1877) become majority in the assembly to replace the monarchists. The place took its current name in 1879.
N ° 8 bis: Les Magasins Réunis, founded in 1866, was replaced by the Hôtel Moderne, completely restored in 1910
N ° 12: Location of the Diorama founded in 1822 by Daguerre, in place of which the Caserne du Prince Eugène was built in 1854, which became Caserne du Château d´Eau then Caserne Vérines

BOULEVARD DU TEMPLE

The Bd of the initial Temple was traced from 1656 and planted with several rows of beautiful trees; it was the fashionable walking place. In the 18th century, he covered himself with wooden barracks and theaters which made him nicknamed "Boulevard du Crime". The 1807 decree, which removed small theaters, and then the creation of Place du Château d´Eau (1862), which removed large theaters, ended all performances.
N ° 27: Former gardens of the Cadran Bleu cafe. The day of August 10, 1792 was organized there.
N ° 29: Former Turkish Café, opened in 1780, which became a simple restaurant for weddings and banquets during the reign of Louis-Philippe;
# 33: Nungesser lived there in 192
N ° 41: The only surviving hall in the Boulevard du Temple: the Déjazet Theater, built in 1852 under the name of Folies-Meyer, then Folies-Nouvelles in 1854. The actress Miss Déjazet bought it for her son in 1859. She She played there herself and Victorien Sardou started there as an author.
N ° 50: Place in front of which the attack of Fieschi against Louis-Philippe took place on July 28, 1835. The author was hidden in the attic of this Parisian house and fired with his infernal machine on the procession which returned from a magazine of the National Guard Place du Château d'eau. The king was only injured, but there were 19 killed (including Marshal Mortier) and 23 wounded
Theaters and performance halls were therefore numerous from the 18th century until 1862.
We can cite :
- The Cabinet of Wax Figures at N ° 36, which existed from 1787 to 1847
- Lazzari theater was at this location
- Mme Saqui's Theater, which became the Délassements-Comiques in 1841
- The Théâtre des Funambules opened in 1816 at N ° 54, next to the Théâtre de Nicolet, which became La Gaité in 1790 and which was transferred to Place du Château d'Eau in 1862. It was then replaced by Gaité -Lyrique rebuilt a little further by Hittorf.
- The Audinot theater of 1769 was replaced by a very beautiful hall in 1789: the Ambigu Comique which, after its fire in 1827 was transferred Bd St Martin
- The Cirque Olympique took the place in 1827 of the Chinese Café, and often changed its name. Destroyed in 1862, it was replaced by the Théâtre du Chatelet
- The theater of the Pygmies, founded in 1811
- The Historical Theater was founded in 1846 by Alexandre Dumas; it became the Lyric Theater. Also demolished in 1862, it was replaced by the Sarah-Bernhardt theater.