Puteaux

Puteaux

Renowned for its business district of La Défense, Puteaux is an active city marked by history. In fact, despite its rather recent architecture, it was a religious place with the abbey of Saint Denis which made its reputation from the 12th century to the 17th century. Moreover, it has been the focus of conflicts, particularly during the Second World War, the arms industries established on the spot being subject to enemy bombardments. Although its evolution was late, the city has been constantly developing and renewing itself since the 20th century. Today, it is animated by its internationally renowned business district, offering jobs in multinational companies but also studies in prestigious establishments such as the IESEG. In recent years, Puteaux has become more colourful and is gradually attracting new buyers. The town, full of flowers and with its atypical architecture, offers many luxury properties for sale, including Paris Ouest Sotheby's International Realty. 

From "Puteoli" (small well, or swamps, depending on whether the version is poetic or realistic), to today's Puteaux, home to the most modern of France's business districts, how many stories have unfolded during for centuries in this small town on the banks of the Seine.
Although pieces dating from Parisii in the 1st century BC, Gallic people with origins in the Paris region were found there, it was rather in 1148 that the "birth certificate" of "Putiauz" was signed by the abbot Suger, loan from the Abbey of Saint Denis, advisor to Louis VI and regent of Louis VII.
The village is home to winegrowers and cultivators, who live on the fertile soil of the Chantecoq hill and the banks of the Seine.
From the 17th century, the Parisian nobility, and in particular the Duke of Gramont, established resorts there. On the island of Puteaux, the first tennis club in France was built in 1873 and the Rothschild family maintained a model farm there, with rare species and exotic animals. On the current esplanade, you can see the statue of "La Défense de Paris" by Barrias built in 1883 in tribute to the people who opposed the Prussians in 1870-71. Displaced many times, it gave its name to the business district that covers the north of the city of Puteaux and the South of Courbevoie.
The Seine is a key element of the city. Severe flooded during the 1910 flood, Puteaux became an industrial city. From typographic inks from the Lorillieux workshop, at the beginning of the 19th century, to the installation of the De Dion Bouton and Unic industries, big names in the automobile industry, via Zodiac and Morane-Saulnier, aircraft manufacturers, the agricultural past of the village disappears.
It was in 1958 that Puteaux experienced the upheaval of the tertiary era and the start of major works, with the construction of the CNIT. Between 1960 and 1970, numerous towers sprang up and the RER A linked the business center to Paris.
Even today, La Défense seems to be constantly changing. While towers are still emerging, both in Puteaux and Courbevoie, the heart has been completely rehabilitated to become a pleasant and flowery city, with prosperous shops and modern and welcoming apartment buildings. It is constantly reinventing itself: the arts district and the Bergères roundabout eco-district are emerging.

Vieux Puteaux (Old Puteaux) – Pressensé

Originally a small village, Puteaux was covered with vineyards and other cultures. Nevertheless, Old Puteaux was then only a dependency of Suresnes. The symbol of this bond was the Church; in fact, the Puteolians did not have a place of worship and had to go to Suresnes to meditate. It was in 1509 that, driven by a desire for independence, the inhabitants of Old Puteaux asked for the foundation of a chapel. It was born in 1523 and took the name of Notre-Dame de Pitié. With the creation of this parish, Puteaux broke away from Suresnes. However, despite the enlargement of the Chapel in 1640 to allow more inhabitants to gather there, it was not until 1717 that the border was definitively drawn between the two cities, by the Cross of Puteaux. Le Vieux Puteaux was already attracting Parisian nobility, but after this independence, Parisians gradually settled in this village. Also, constructions like the Puteaux Theater in 1910, evolve the village and the vineyards towards a more soothing and attractive life. Le Vieux Puteaux is therefore the very origin of the city of Puteaux and retains its elements of yesteryear such as the theater, its 18th century Church but also some houses from the 1920s.

City-Centre – Colline

The city centre is today a place of family life, animated by shops and various activities, but there is still one symbolic building of the city: it is the Chantecoq mill. Built in 1648, it was used to grind wheat for the local population for two centuries. Then, Pierre Lorilleux will make it his ink factory in 1823, and this building will even become the emblem of his productions. Subsequently, the building will be returned to the city in 1970 and restored in 1990, now classifying it as historical heritage. In addition, there is a symbolic mark in history that of seeing a city animated by new inhabitants, close to a mill over 350 years old, which has seen many generations pass.

Bergères –Lorilleux – Rosiers

In the 5th century, Sainte-Geneviève, patron saint of the city of Nanterre, came to graze her sheep in Suresnes in the company of other shepherdesses, hence the name of this place. Until the 19th century, only agriculture and animal husbandry animated this part of the city. However, with the formation of the first railroad in 1839, the districts will develop and various industries are born, such as the printing press or ink factories like that of Charles Lorilleux. In fact, a new district, inheriting the name of this industrialist and former mayor of Puteaux, will be born, the Lorilleux district. Finally, thanks to the production of Damascus roses on the Isle of Puteaux, the perfume factories settled in the 19th century in a district now called Rosiers. Indeed, as the cultivation of Damascus roses was very important at the time, many industries linked to the world of perfume were established in Puteaux. Today, the Bergères district is undergoing major changes, driven by a desire to improve living standards; this involves renovating homes, traffic lanes and installing new equipment.

La Défense

The most recent element of the city is the La Défense district. Apart from the La Défense de Paris statue, sculpted in 1883 by Barrias, in honor of the French struggle against the Prussians, there is no building over 70 years old. In fact, the first towers saw the light of day in the 1960s, with the development plan of the EPAD, which built a few homogeneous towers to form a sketch of a business district and house ESSO employees. The extension of metro line N ° 1 connecting La Défense to Paris makes the district much more attractive. However, the economic crisis shows the weaknesses of this district which is sorely lacking in animation. It was therefore in 1981 that the 4-stroke shopping center was erected, a symbol of a shift in positioning. Indeed, following its construction, many hotels are moving to La Défense, which is diversifying more and more, until it enjoys worldwide visibility. With the development of the business and tourism district, La Défense is better and better served by transport; since 2006, a general modernization of Defense has been undertaken, the objective of which is to provide a lively and safe living space.

Bellini - République

In the 19th century, this area of ​​the city was still underdeveloped. The Bellini district certainly seduces with its taverns that existed at the time, but it was at the beginning of the 20th century that the district began to grow. In 1920, a draft town hall was born in the République district, its style combining modern and neoclassical. The interior is decorated with frescoes, stained glass windows and large windows. Despite numerous renovations, the Town Hall retains its original charm. Beyond Vieux Puteaux, it should be remembered that the territory was covered with vines from the 17th century, the production of white wine enriching the town; however with industrialization, the vineyards ceased to be profitable and their cultivation ended in 1927. Recently, the town of Puteaux wished to get closer to its history by installing a vineyard not far from the town hall, called the "Garden vineyards ". Since 2009, the town of Puteaux has continued to produce the wine that gave birth to it.

Ile de Puteaux ( Isle of Puteaux)

The Isle of Puteaux was marked by the reception in 1873 of one of the first tennis clubs in France, as well as by the progress of the Paris Olympic Games in 1900. But beyond this sporting past, the 'Île de Puteaux was the scene of a production of roses. In the 17th century, the production of so-called “Puteaux” roses was significant; this rose has healing properties, but is also actively sought after for its pale pink color and fragrance. This pushes to increase its production in the 19th century, and the Coty perfume factories set up there. In 1942, the widow Lebaudy donated her land to the town, which made it a historic place, recalling the origins of the town. In fact, while enjoying a bucolic walk on the Island, it is possible to admire the Rose Garden which has been preserved by the city.