Preferences Preferences To safeguard0
Contact us
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Victor Hugo)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Auteuil)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 17ème - Etoile Monceau)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Neuilly-sur-Seine)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Hauts-de-Seine - Yvelines)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Marais
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Est
Sotheby's International Realty
Send an email



My research
Nogent sur Marne
  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Area
  4. >
  5. Nogent sur Marne

Nogent sur Marne

The name of Nogent comes from the Latin "novio", new, and designates a new locality that can be found from the Gallo-Roman era.

The Merovingian kings seem to have had a residence there, and we have also recently discovered burials from this period.

The seigniory of Nogent, which belongs to the monks of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés, is the place of construction:

- From the Château de Plaisance , built under Louis 9 and of which a pavilion remains at 30, rue de Plaisance

- From the Château de Beauté-sur-Marne , built at the beginning of the 14th century and which was offered to Agnès Sorel by Charles 7, who then became Lady of Beauty, not for her physical appearance, but because she was the owner of the castle. This one will be razed in 1626.

In the 17th century, the village was mainly made up of farmers and winegrowers.

Marshal Vaillant owned a large property there under the Second Empire which was destroyed during the war of 1870; he then bequeathed it to the municipality which builds the Town Hall there.

The two railway lines (of the Bastille and the Eastern line) of 1848 and 1855 cross the town and the station was opened in 1859. The viaduct of the Eastern line was destroyed twice by the Germans , in 1870 and 1944. It was rebuilt in 1945.

The 1887 tram was replaced by buses in 1937.

Nogent-sur-Marne is also well known for its guinguettes, mostly located on the banks of the Marne. From the second half of the 19th century, the common people of Paris, using the new railroad, came there in large numbers on Sundays to drink the guinguet, the local wine, exempt from the Parisian tax on alcohol. Numerous musette ball orchestras follow one another there, numerous dancers or titis who come to "hunter" and "encanailler" making their rider twirl to the frantic rhythms of the accordion, on Sunday afternoons in particular. The number of guinguettes was particularly important during its golden age around 1900, favored by the arrival of the Italian community.

Finally, two monuments are noteworthy:

- In 1976, Mayor Roland Nungesser, the aviator's nephew, bought the 8th Pavillon Baltard, originally built under Napoleon 3 and dismantled from the former Les Halles market in Paris, to have it rebuilt, rehabilitating the interior to turn it into a theater

- In 1921, Albert Klein built the Royal-Palace on Grande Rue, which was also used during the interwar period as a music hall, welcoming great artists such as Fernandel. Closed then reopened in 1997, its façade is listed