Preferences Preferences To safeguard0
Contact us
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Victor Hugo)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Auteuil)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 17ème - Etoile Monceau)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Neuilly-sur-Seine)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Hauts-de-Seine - Yvelines)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Marais
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Est
Sotheby's International Realty
Send an email



My research
Joinville le Pont
  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Area
  4. >
  5. Joinville le Pont

Joinville le Pont

The history of Joinville-le-Pont is intimately linked to that of St Maur, as it was part of it until the Revolution, when it was detached from it under the name of La Branche-du-Pont-de-Saint -Maur (1790)

Indeed, in the parish of the territory of St Maur, under Clovis 2, an abbey was built in 639; it takes the name of "Saint-Pierre du Fossé" thus referring to the relief of the place which is very steep up to the Marne. In 868, the abbey collected the relics of Saint Maur. A first miracle took place in the 12th century, which prompted the monks to change the name of the abbey to "Saint-Maur-des-Fossés", the object of numerous pilgrimages. To facilitate communications from the abbey, a bridge was thrown over the Marne in 1205 and called Pont Olinus. At its outlet, in the parish of St Nicolas, a small town of innkeeper develops which we find mentioned in 1259 under the name of the town of Pont de St Maur; the chapel of St Léonard was erected there at the end of the century. In the 15th century, it took the name of the Branch of the Pont de St Maur.

During the wars of religion, the bridge, like those in the surrounding area, was the object of military envy and was destroyed several times during the Fronde (1649, 1652, etc.)

During the census of 1669, the town of Branche du Pont de St Maur had 132 fires (hearths), or about 400 inhabitants, a figure that was more or less stable until 1831.

In 1790, citing the existence of the chapel of St Léonard, the 409 inhabitants seceded from St Maur.

On March 30th, 1814, during the advance of the allies, a furious battle caused nearly 300 deaths around the bridge, victims almost all thrown into the water.

After the revolution of 1830, an Orléanist municipality requested authorization to change the name of the commune to Joinville, a reference to the 3rd son of the King of the French; this is granted in 1831 under the name of Joinville-le-pont.

During the siege of Paris, the battle of Champigny which also takes place on the territory of Joinville, kills 2000 people and leads to the destruction of the bridge (December 1 and 2, 1870).

The town of Joinville has been particularly known since the 19th century for its guinguettes, installed along the Marne. Beautiful houses divided into three, four or five apartments for families were then built, particularly at the end of the century. Today the divisions removed, this gives large and beautiful villas very sought after.

Monuments and remarkable events:

- The Château du Paragon was built in the second half of the 17th century, on the territory of the parish of Saint Maur, on the part that will become Joinville-le-Pont. It belonged to Madame de Lafayette who wrote La Princesse de Clèves there. . From 1857, the castle housed a private school which became, from 1902 to 1914, the colonial agricultural, commercial and industrial practical school, welcoming in particular young Cochinchinense.
It is now a community center for social services.

- Pathé set up its film studios there in 1921, which operated until 1987 as television studios.

- In 1929, the city of Paris annexed all of the Bois de Vincennes, amputating Joinville from part of its territory and in particular from the Hippodrome de Vincennes. The Normal Military School of Gymnastics, founded in 1852, which gave birth to the Bataillon de Joinville, was also located on the territory of Joinville before 1929.

- In 1971, a real disaster took place: the construction of the Eastern motorway led to the demolition of more than 130 houses and several restaurants with terraces on the banks of the Marne,

Finally, note that the town welcomes many water sports enthusiasts with 3 rowing clubs (including Aviron Marne and Joinville) or kayaking (Joinville Eau Vive). The French Canoe-Kayak Federation has its headquarters in Joinville