Preferences Preferences To safeguard0
Contact us
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Victor Hugo)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 16ème - Auteuil)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Paris 17ème - Etoile Monceau)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Neuilly-sur-Seine)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Ouest (Hauts-de-Seine - Yvelines)
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Marais
Sotheby's International Realty
Paris Est
Sotheby's International Realty
Send an email



My research
  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Area
  4. >
  5. Fontenay-sous-Bois


Very old town mentioned in the 9th century, it is known for its many old springs and fountains (hence its name). Since the 14th century, certain springs have been exploited to supply various estates in the region. St Victor Abbey was Lord of Fontenay

From 1779 to 1788, a horse racing ground existed near the wood.

The town quickly rallied to the Republic in 1848, then… the coup d’etat of Louis-Napoleon three years later!

The Fort de Nogent, part of the enclosure of Thiers, was built at the time in the town. It has had a turbulent history, the last episode being the detention of 200 officers who participated in the Algiers putsch in April 1961.

The railway crossed the town in 1856, and the Bastille line three years later (station)

In 1887, the intercommunal hospice (future hospital) was created The "Belle de Fontenay", a variety of French potato, appeared in Fontenay-sous-Bois around 1885.

The ZUP of 1960, the town hall of 1973, the A86, the construction of numerous office buildings have considerably altered the town, which had remained calm and agricultural (fruits) until the war.

it should however be noted:
-The Roublot hall, (1926-28), inspired by Baltard
- The Gaveau pianos: the factory buildings from the end of the 19th century still exist
- The Minor Seminary of the Franciscan Missions: a castle built at the end of the reign of Louis XIV, it was destroyed by the foreign occupation of 1815. Rebuilt under the Second Empire, it became a boarding school for young girls, then, in 1923, the Minor Seminary, which will be a very important institution of the city until 1987. - The old town hall, from 1859
- The church of ST Germain l'Auxerrois: late 14th to early 16th century, with many remarkable elements